Regardless of who you are or what business you’re in, you can benefit from hiring a qualified CPA (Certified Public Accountant) to help you with your accounting and tax preparations needs. This is all the more vital if you’re a business owner and are not well versed in business accounting or tax law.
While it might seem that any accountant will do, accountants have specialties just like doctors and some may be more qualified to meet your needs than others. Choosing the right CPA can be the difference maker when it comes to the accuracy and thoroughness of your tax preparation and tax filing.
When considering a CPA, follow these tips in order to find the right one for you.
- Create a list of business needs that you want your CPA to take care of. This list is as unique as you are and can include things like simple bookkeeping, accounting system implementation, large-scale accounting, tax advice and preparation, legal entity advice and filing assistance.
- Seek recommendations. Ask other business owners for who they recommend. The best way to look for a qualified CPA that meets your needs is to find one already skilled in that area.
- Visit your state’s website for the society of CPAs. There are many states offering a listing of CPAs licensed in that particular state and the type of work they specialize in providing. Create a list of the recommended CPAs. Put those that have the highest recommendations at the top of the list.
- Contact the CPAs you’ve listed and conduct a phone interview. During the interview, go through your list of requirements and ensure that the CPA provides all the services you are looking for. If you are satisfied with the responses, ask for an appointment to personally meet the CPA and discuss your requirements in further detail.
- Discuss your business needs in greater detail at the appointment. Ask the CPA about his experience in the specific area you are seeking and ask about the rates for these services. Pricing may be per service or by the hour. Make detailed notes of the pricing model that each CPA uses.
Once you have completed these steps, pick the CPA that you are most comfortable with and who best fits your requirements.
If you are looking for accounting services or tax preparation services, contact our Joplin, MO office today and let us see how we can help you.